Saturday, April 13, 2013

On Womanhood, the church, and the Bible (research and current - Part 4)


Then there’s my own biblical research – my grappling through deacons (which I believe has biblical support to be women. See Marshall's International Critical Commentary: The Pastoral Epistlesand sorting through 1 Timothy 2:11-15 and realizing that wow, there is SOLID biblical support to translate “authority” as “domineering” and so interpret that passage to address a specific group of women who were teaching in a domineering way and Paul’s basically saying “stop that!” I point you to Belleville’s  Teaching and Usurping Authority: 1 Timothy 2:11-15 and Towner’s The New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Letters to Timothy and Titus. Many more sources may be pointed to for a more complementarian view. I do not deny that as a source of interpretation, I'd only like to point out that a more egalitarian view also has valid ground.

So, my stance stance on women in leadership positions has changed. I could see a women teaching a man in a non-domineering way and that being biblical. I’ve done it (I believe). I would say to the egalitarians, though, that I do still lean towards wanting a male senior pastor as I believe that the husband is the head/authority of the wife and that it helps to see it lived out in the church. But this is no longer a make-or-break issue for me.

That’s where I stand, but I’m not yet done growing, I’m not done processing. I’m still learning, maturing, changing. And it’s still an emotional issue for me. But one thing I know – the American church is in desperate need of more godly, non-domineering, female leaders in its ranks! It can be easy for me to see this view and hold this view tight - even forcing it when it shouldn't be forced. In all the differing views, I think there needs to be a stronger dose of love and humility. Whatever side we fall on, we must be prepared to be winning and winsome and remember to let love rule all - for we still desperately need unity and love within the body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment